There are some things that people can do to prevent and treat the symptoms of heartburn. Not all remedies work or are safe for everyone, however. It is important for people to speak with their doctor about the best remedy for them.
Simple remedies for heartburn relief include:
Heartburn may progress into a condition called gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD.
- Quitting smoking and avoiding secondhand smoke
- Wearing loose fitting clothing to avoid unnecessary pressure on the stomach
- Considering prescription medications:People with heartburn should also speak with their doctor to see if the use of prescription medications is right for them.
- Losing weight: People who are in need of losing weight or are obese may want to consider a diet and exercise weight loss program. Each person reacts to these changes differently, however. It is important to speak with a healthcare provider about losing weight.
- Raising the head of the bed: There are many ways to raise the head of the bed to allow gravity to reduce the symptoms of heartburn. Placing blocks under the top bedposts, raising the bed by around 6-8 inches may work. Foam wedges can also be placed between the mattress and box spring to raise the angle of the head of the bed. Pillows are not effective in reducing heartburn symptoms.
- Trying over-the-counter medications: People with heartburn should speak with their doctor about over-the-counter medications to relieve their symptoms. They may be recommended to try antacids, acid reducers like famotidine or ranitidine, or acid blockers such as lansoprazole and omeprazole.
- Using herbal preparations: The use of certain herbal preparations may also be useful. The Mayo Clinic report that licorice, slippery elm, chamomile, or marshmallow could help in treating the symptoms of GERD. It is important for people to speak with their doctor about potential side effects and drug interactions before starting any herbal supplements.
- Trying acupuncture: Although there is limited evidence to support its use, acupuncture may be beneficial in relieving the symptoms of heartburn in some people.
- Relaxing: Stress and tension can wreak havoc on the body. Relaxation techniques such as progressive muscle relaxation could provide the body with calming relief to some symptoms.
- Making some simple diet changes: There are certain dietary triggers that can affect the presence and severity of heartburn. People should try avoiding spicy or greasy foods, chocolate, caffeinated drinks likecoffee, tomato products, garlic, peppermint, alcohol, and fizzy drinks.
People should sit upright for 3 or more hours after a meal to reduce heartburn symptoms. People should also eat smaller meals and avoid meals in the 2-3 hours before sleep.
for complete article click below: